Are you new to chakra exploration or have you already dipped your toe in the power that chakra has to offer our spiritual, mental, and physical health? The seven main chakras impact our energy in unique ways, but the sacral chakra is centered around sexuality, pleasure, relationships, and the power of choice. While the sacral chakra can be profoundly explored, let’s touch on the surface elements of this powerful force to get things going.
What is the sacral chakra?
The sacral chakra, or svadhisthana, is the second chakra. Svadhisthana means “your own place” and it’s associated with emotions, sensuality, relationships, sexuality, pleasure, and fantasies.
Where is the sacral chakra?
The most common location for the sacral chakra is about 2-3 inches below your belly button.
What does the sacral chakra support?
It’s all about the senses and “feeling” the world around us and in us, so that our well-being is fully activated. It’s associated with the water element, which is characterized by movement and flow in our feelings and thoughts. It connotes flexibility in life and promotes personal growth and relations with others. When balanced, it centers relationships around nurturing, pleasure, and harmony. It’s all about liberation, being in the moment, and enjoying everything that the human experience has to offer.
What happens when the sacral chakra is off-balance?
An off-balance sacral chakra can appear in a variety of ways, such as
- Dependency or codependency with a person or substance
- Being controlled by your emotions
- Experiencing a numbness or lack of emotions
- Feeling out of touch with yourself
- Low-self worth
- Overindulgence in sexual fantasies
- Sexual obsessions
- Lack of sexual desire
- Boredom, listlessness, feeling uninspired
- Experiencing minimal sexual satisfaction
- Feeling “stuck” in a mood
- Pain such as arthritis, lower back pain, or hip problems
4 approaches to realigning your sacral chakra
When you become aware that you’re not feeling like yourself or that there’s a better, freer version of yourself out there that you’re always chasing, it might be time to give your sacral chakra some attention.
- Use sacral chakra stones and jewelry: Carry or wear orange calcite, moonstone, carnelian, or citrine to give your sacral chakra a boost.
- Practice sacral chakra meditation and yoga: Make sacral chakra meditation a part of your daily practice and switch up your normal yoga routine with poses that speak to your sacral chakra
- Consume foods that are good for your sacral chakra: To maintain a balanced sacral chakra, consume more oranges, seeds, coconuts, broths, and teas.
- Use affirmations to support your sacral chakra: Positive affirmations are an effective way to start your day or scare away triggers. Try “I deserve to experience pleasure and have my needs met” for starters.
What does the sacral chakra teach us?
While the sacral chakra does influence our experiences in the bedroom, it’s not just about sex. The sacral chakra helps us to realize that every relationship has a purpose, no matter how good or bad it is. All relationships help us learn about ourselves, our perceived limitations, and how to live the life that we truly want to lead. It supports the personal choice to ask that guy for his phone number or change a negative relationship that’s dragging us down. It’s about being confident in your sensual experiences and having the strength to be yourself completely in your partnerships.
The sacral chakra symbolizes the connection between sexual energy and fulfilling relationships and how together they can support a confident and fulfilled individual. Establishing a harmonious flow of energy is for everyone, and can be accomplished by focusing on your own needs. That’s right; it’s about you today.
How are you supporting your sacral chakra? What changes can you make to ensure that every relationship is fulfilling and that your sensual experiences leave you satisfied?